I am up to my eyeballs in conduct. My sweet, little first years had themselves a bit TOO MUCH fun last weekend, and I'm paying for it now. I spent 6.5 hours of my work day today talking with 12 students about alcohol, marijuana, and the power of poor decision making. My voice is actually hoarse. Plus side, I got into a pretty sweet groove. Here's hoping the flow continues because I have about 6 more cases to get through tomorrow!
But guess who will be paying for once it's all done? THEY WILL!! I think you have to be, or have been, an RD to understand this, but there is nothing like handing down sanctions to students who were found responsible for policy violations! We don't throw the book at them (unless they really deserve it) but we definitely make them rethink their decision making. There is a gratifying aspect to it all, too. I mean, seeing that proverbial light-bulb go off can do wonders when you're barely through half your conduct appointments and someone just scheduled another one.
Ironically, I have jury duty next week. I guess it would be more ironic if I myself had a hearing, but, regardless, I thought it was odd timing. It's like the Court Gods are saying, "Here. Have more!"
1 comment:
You should wear a fake sheriff's badge when you meet with students.
Post a Comment