"Any given moment can change your life. You just have to be there."
- The World According to Curly Girl

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Real Thing

Relationships, we all know, take work. A LOT of work. More than that, they take time, effort, trust, risk...the list goes on. I have spent much of the past three months wondering, much to my chagrin, what it was Kelly and I were doing those three years. I had an idea and he had an idea, only they did not so much culminate in the same brightly burning light bulb. I was trying it on for size, eventually hoping to buy it. He was trying it on for.......fun, eventually hoping to put it back on the shelf with as few wrinkles as possible. I can talk in metaphors all day long I've decided.

The best one, though, came to me tonight. I was on the phone with a friend and it hit me. My relationship, after some time, was much like being served Diet Coke after respectfully ordering the Real Thing. In drinking it you realize it tastes funny, a little weird and not like Coke, but you keep drinking it anyway, too afraid to send it back. I mean, it looks like Coke. You ordered Coke. Surely, it's Coke.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Yep.

That's one nail that you just pounded on the head.

The Kelly Family said...

you are so smart Jess! He's truly missing out, and doesn't deserve you!!He just leaves gross after-tastes lol